Manufacturing expertise in Tayside
New products are the lifeblood of organizations; increasing competitiveness and creating sustainable long-term growth. Projects range from small-scale operational improvements to major business realignment. The academic partners have a wealth of expertise and relevant experience through regular engagement with industry in the areas of design, new product development and manufacturing process improvement.
- Computer Aided Engineering – CAE can assist engineers in analysis, simulation, design, manufacture, planning, diagnosis and repair. This technology can improve decision making at the earliest stage of development.
- Laser forming – A technique which can produce metallic, predetermined shapes with minimal distortion and no mechanical contact. This technique can significantly reduce costs associated with rapid prototyping.
- Rapid Prototyping – Manufacturing of design prototypes for application in a wide range of industry such as medical devices, manufacturing, engineering, oil and gas.
- Finite Element Analysis – 3D cross sectional analysis of materials, devices or structures. In a structural simulation FEA helps tremendously in producing stiffness and strength visualizations and also in minimizing weight, materials, and costs.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics – Using numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems that involve fluid flows. Computers are used to perform the millions of calculations required to simulate the interaction of fluids and gases with the complex surfaces used in engineering.
- Coatings – Antimicrobial coatings are required in sterile environments (food and hospitals). Issues such as corrosion can be treated with bespoke coatings to enhance the lifespan of structures, equipment and materials. Expertise includes electrostatic spraying and disposition.
- Analytical Electron Microscopy/Surface Analysis Unit – surface, bulk and thin film analysis solutions to a variety of issues e.g. corrosion issues, paper manufacture, ceramics, microelectronics, phosphors, printing, plastics.
Experts can provide tailored solutions to specific problems of the industry. If your company has a specific idea, problem or area for development, please click here to contact us via our General Enquiries email form.
Related Expertise Profiles
Please click on the links below to download a one page summary of manufacturing expertise for your business.
Please click on the links below to download a one page case study.
Dundee Nitrogen Company [Adobe Acrobat PDF - 640.12 KB]